Saturday, October 9, 2010

Just for You, SLU

I’m just so proud of my school because it will be celebrating its one-hundredth year as an institution of education. Saint Louis University started as a small school teaching the local boys about basic education and about Christian Religion and now it has its own elementary, high school, and college branches. For almost a hundred years, my school has been teaching so many children and young adults about how to be a better person for the community and this will have helped them to have a better future. My school has done so much for all the students who have gone and studied on its grounds. My school has been labeled “The Light of the North” which makes me even more proud of it. My school has helped so many people so as a student of SLU, I am in great debt to it; I must have something to give as a gift to my school, so I could show my appreciation for my school.

Usually we give gifts, and more often than not, I see that gifts are mostly given during a person’s birthday. In this blog’s case, it’s not a person who would be receiving my gift; it’s for someone – or something – else; it’s for my school.  When someone tries to find a gift to give to someone special, it would take hours and hours and HOURS to find the perfect gift for that someone. Now I’m having exactly that problem. I do not know what to give as a gift to my school.
So let’s try to look at my options:
1.       Money? (not so special)
2.       Food? (schools don’t eat)
3.       A corny song? (one; it’s corny, two; it’s not needed cause we already have a school song)
4.       Fist fight? (not such a good idea, plus I can’t pick on someone not my own size[I’m large])
5.       A cat? (there are too much cats in school [and proof is the poop in places] thank you very much)
What a waste of options. Well, I guess the very best thing I could give (not to mention the best I could think of) is a prayer.

A prayer is nice, right? For me, it is just right and it’s not just because I can’t think of anything else but because one; my school is a Christian school, two; the Almighty Being who would be listening to my prayer – I hope – would be pleased, three; my school deserves to be appreciated, four; I would really like to thank my school, and – last but not the least—five; maybe those who would be reading my blog would actually thank my school too. So I guess it’s decided that I’m gonna offer a prayer of thanks for my school as my gift to it. I’m going to TRY MY best to make the best thanksgiving prayer for my school ever!

                So instead of my usual poem, I would be posting in my blog my “gift” for my school for you to read.

Father God who is good and loving,
My school is one that is very giving. I’d really love to see the day it would be celebrating its very own 100th birthday. So there’re so many things I’d like to say. But for now, Father, I would like to show my thanks for my school.
I would like to thank my school, because it has trained me with all its rules, because it has protected me from being too ignorant, because it has kept me from being part of chaos that’s rampant, because it has given to me the very best and that is knowledge about the world and how to live in it. These things it has given are what I am very lucky to receive. I would also like to thank You, Lord, for my school has given me the privilege of being called a Louisian and being one is no joke.
Father, may most, if not all, know more about what my school does for them and may they also realize that my school really deserves their appreciation. Father, I also thank You for blessing me with the opportunity to be able to study in a private school known as Saint Louis University Laboratory High School.
May You continue to hear me out and may You also continue to guide my school as it will be striving to achieve another hundred years of service to the young people of Northern Luzon so that it may continue to live up to its title, The Light of the North. Amen.

(Fine! So it may not be the best prayer ever but it’s the best prayer I could give)

No comments:

Post a Comment